Student travel awards – graduate students
These awards provide travel funds for graduate students, in good standing, who are presenting their MU funded research at professional meetings related to Mizzou Advantage areas. Up to $600 is available for domestic travel; up to $900 is available for international travel. Applications should include 1) a 1-2 page summary (as outlined below) which includes a description of the ways in which the student will engage in the conference, 2) a resume or CV and 3) a letter of support from the faculty member indicating how the travel experience will advance future career opportunities for the student.
For a list of conferences attended by past awardees click here.
Applications must be prepared by the student. Include the following information:
- Student name and department
- Which funding source you are applying for (graduate student travel awards)
- Conference/event title, date and location
- Poster or oral presentation title
- Include conference acceptance letter (or, forward acceptance letter upon receipt)
- The area(s) of Mizzou Advantage into which the activity falls (Media of the Future, One Health/One Medicine, Food for the Future and Sustainable Energy)
- In what way(s) will your planned travel experience deepen your interdisciplinary understanding of one or more of the area(s) of Mizzou Advantage (Media of the Future, One Health/One Medicine, Food for the Future, Sustainable Energy)
- Name and email of department chair/or division administrator and department fiscal officer
- Student resume or CV (for resume assistance contact the student success center http://success.missouri.edu/career.html)
- Include a full budget of expenses to be incurred (Funding is in the form of post-travel reimbursements so receipts must be provided to the departmental fiscal officer in compliance with university regulations.)
- Major Professor, Faculty Mentor or Advisor letter of support
- Describe how you plan to engage in the conference:
- Required: oral or poster presentation
- Network with possible collaborators/employers
- Meet and network with stimulating thinkers
- Network with other professors (to explore future graduate training or postdoctoral opportunities)
- Other (please explain).
Applications must not exceed two pages (excluding resume and faculty support letter) and must be received a minimum of 8 weeks prior to the event. Awards will be made on an ongoing basis until the annual budget has been expended. Submit completed proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note we will only accept 4 student applications per conference and will provide funding only once during the course of your graduate program at Mizzou. To equitably share limited financial resources, Mizzou Advantage discourages proposals for conferences previously attended by the graduate student.
Post Travel Requirement for Reimbursement: Prior to receiving reimbursement for your travel you must submit a one page narrative (750 words) describing your conference experience. Send the completed narrative to LeAnne Stewart at email@example.com.
In your one page narrative, highlight the following (as appropriate):
- What contacts were made and how might they influence your research/future graduate education and/or career opportunities?
- In what way(s) did your recent travel experience further your interdisciplinary understanding of one or more of the area(s) of Mizzou Advantage? (Media of the Future, One Health/One Medicine, Food for the Future and Sustainable Energy)
- Describe any potential opportunities that may arise due to networking with:
- Professors (to explore future training or postdoctoral opportunities)
- Possible Collaborators
- Potential Employers
- What new research did you learn about and how might it impact your current work or field?
- What was the most interesting thing you learned during the poster session?
- Describe any useful feedback you received on your poster or oral presentation.
- Describe any stimulating conversations you had with conference attendees.
- Other (please explain).